Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Life From The Confines of a Monkey Backpack


You know those kids. You see 'em at theme parks and shopping malls. They're about three feet tall, and have a leash strapped to their monkey backpack.

Moms seem to be split 50/50 as to whether or not it's a good idea. Parents who want to allow freedom while still keeping the children close by are pro-monkey. Those who think the idea is ridiculous, and leashes should be left to the dogs? Anti-monkey, no doubt. 

I never had an opinion... your kid, your tethered monkey-backpack. There are much bigger battles for me to get involved in, like why there is gum stuck to my daughter's hair. Or how 18 nerf bullets are entangled in the Christmas tree, right next to the fragile glass nativity. 


I have a friend who is my "Monkey backpack". Earlier this year I was working on a project, and I was all set to run off 90 miles an hour to get to my finish line. There she was, the voice of reason, tugging on that leash to tell me "I think God wants you to hold off."

I admit, it was not pretty. That yank, right in between my shoulder blades holding me back. But she knew what she was talking about. That project wasn't ready. It needed tweaking. Perfecting. It needed God's timing, not my own. 

Those kids don't always wear their monkey backpacks... it's not 24/7 confinement. Just when it's necessary. God is that way with us. Not confining. But willing to keep us in short reach when we need it. Not to restrain. Out of love and a desire for us to grow. 

The funny thing about the monkey backpack? It guarantees closeness to whoever is holding the other end. So yes, that little tug telling me my project wasn't ready was exactly what I needed for my own benefit, and as long as it's God that has the other end of my monkey backpack, I'll take that closeness any day of the week!

XOXO,
Karen

No comments :

Post a Comment