Friday, September 6, 2013

Missed Blessings

Some of you that know me know my "God-thing" is deer. You may have a God-thing. It's something that connects you to God, gives you peace or affirmation of a decision. For my friend Denise, it's blue birds and red birds. For me, it's deer.

Ever since we moved out to a more rural area, I had been hoping to see some deer. My confirmation that we were right where we needed to be! The neighbors say they see them. You'd think they were nearby, solely based on the number of woods, lakes, and ponds we have around. But we're going on 4 months here with not a single hooved animal in site.

Then today, at lunch, I was in a rush to get to work. I'd worked until almost midnight last night, and
finished a little bit of work at home before I left for work this morning. I was driving my usual route, and I wasn't paying attention to the actual road, partly because I knew it well, partly because I knew there were no cars ahead for awhile, and partly because I was just preoccupied with everything I have going on.

Right there in front of me, a deer was running with her fawn.

I just looked up in time to slow down and barely. missed. hitting them.

My heart was broken. Instead of seeing them in all their majesty running across the road (to my left was an open field; I wouldn't have missed them), I caught just the tail end of them, *this* close to running into them. Inches.

Inches from injuring or even killing the very thing that is my God-symbol.

Lord, forgive me. I prayed right then and for awhile afterwards. What other gifts have I missed that God was trying to bless me with because I am too busy?

So I have to slow down. Slow down so I have time to not just SEE the blessings I have around me, but to be DOING the things that He wants me to do. Because amongst all the things we "do" every day, those are the only ones that matter.

XOXO,

Karen

No comments :

Post a Comment